View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #215
Mike955i
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
2008 BMW R1200RT - Thought this was my "next bike", great ergos, fit and finish. Rented one for a 3 day weekend and was highly unimpressed. Lacking in power (2 up), I didn't care for the airflow and the seating position locked me into one place. Was very surprised (and started looking at K1200GT's instead).

2001 Honda XR650R - The bike I wanted to love but just never could. To be fair, it wasn't all the bike, too short legs on my part made technical riding harder than it had to be. I loved the motor and suspension but hated the weight and the way it washed the front too often and easily. I spent far too much money on suspension rebuilds, lowering links and other "fixes" to finally realize it was just too tall, too heavy, and I wanted an E button.

2002 Kawasaki Concours - the "old" Connie. Loved the seating position, decent power 2 up, hated the build quality and the lack of 6 speeds. I was always trying to find sixth and ended up selling it because I hated how high it ran at cruising speeds (and my now ex-wife hated riding on it).

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LT Classic - As with the Bimmer, showroom sit tests and spec charts made me think this would be perfect for me. I'm a big guy and any ladies I might take along are likely to fall on this side of "normal" so I wanted something big, long, super comfy and powerful. So, I ended up buying the biggest production Vtwin made, and it is super comfy with lots of useable power and a long stable wheelbase. But it's also like riding an oil tanker, you have to start your turns 3 minutes early, it's rediculously heavy, and the saddle bags kinda suck. That said, it's Love/Hate as I still have it and get perverse pleasure when riding it. Plus, it makes me slow down in a way the other bikes do not. It'll probably go when the new KTM 1090ADV is available.

1992 Kawasaki 750 Zephyr - Loved the styling and power but ended up hating the seat (worst.seat.ever!) and wanted another gear most of the time. It eventually got "sat" and fell into dis-use, now waiting for rebirth as a cafe racer (with a seat rebuild included). Still love the styling!