View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #16420
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Those are just powder coated standard rims. I did some light trail riding on em without any drama, but my understanding is they're not really up to aggressive rough riding (which the Scram isn't really designed for out of the box), although I have seen some folks on here get away with it.

Planning to grab a set of Excel rims from Woody's for the new project , which is aiming to be about as capable off-road as a Scram can be without going for a few more inches of travel, messing with the geometry, throwing in a 21" front, extending the swing-arm and all that jazz.
I researched Excel rims a few months back. Excel told me they only make silver to fit the scrambler, not black. Do you have any idea what Woody's will charge? I assume you would ship them your OEM hubs and have them laced up.

I bent one rim already and sent it to Buchanan's to be straightened for about $110. I bent it again recently and pounded it out (almost). Then, my buddy told me, "Hey, if you had aluminum rims on that Scrambler the rim would break instead of bend." Any truth to that statement? I know the aluminum is stronger, but I would rather bend than break.
'86 Yamaha XT350

tvscum screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 03:29 PM Reason: removed cost amount
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote