View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Pomo OP
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Stubbornness and Stupidity

A few weeks ago I hatched a plan to go for a little ride through Arizona over the Thanksgiving holiday. Usually I'm all about planning, but I figured this time I would just lay down a rough route, attempting to hit some “out-of-the-way” roads. “Do one thing every day that scares you.”

Day 1:

I headed south for Silver City, hoping it would be a little warmer crossing the divide further south. It had rained overnight, and it was still overcast and a bit humid. And cold. No photos on the interstate, because who wants to see those? Plus I don't do rolling shots, as you'll find out I have enough trouble keeping the rubber on the bottom side. Got off the slab for some great twisties into the mountains.

I got to Silver with just a whiff of fumes in the tank, and filled up bike and body with more fuel. Did I mention my meticulous lack of planning and preparation? It was still a bit overcast, but I could see further west that it was clear skies. I hit some dirt just to make it a little more interesting.

Crossing into Arizona I jumped on a pipeline road, which besides a few gates to go through was suh-weeet. Can't pass up stuff like this:

I stopped in Safford for some more gas. The attendant asked me where I was headed, and I explained how I was just riding around Arizona to take in some scenery. Her reply: “Well get the hell out of here!”

I'm not much of a car guy, but this thing caught my eye on the way out of town.

I hear you get better traction in sand if you lower your tire pressure.

I made a little detour to go see the Coolidge Dam. It's pretty neat, if you have 40 miles of gas to burn and a little patience on a road that exists in some limbo between paved and unpaved. I got sight of some Saguaro cacti on the way in.

And finally got to the dam itself as the sun was getting low.

Say what you will, Calvin Coolidge was a classy guy. Just look at this thing!

Pulled into Globe just as dark was settling in, and grabbed a cheap room. Nothing too scary today, other than testing the accuracy of the bike's gas mileage estimator (which it turns out is pretty good).

That would soon change...

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 06:29 PM Reason: unintentional cursing
Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote