View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #14503
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,713
Cool2 Wonder what that fan is for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Ambient temps have very little to do with whether the fan cycles on/off - its all about whether you're stopped or moving. I bet the fan cycles in 0-deg weather if you're sitting long enough.

I've never thought my S10 "cooks" my left leg at all (the heat seems mostly outboard), but this is probably an individual perception thing and what your riding gear is. The S10 has the best cockpit heat control of any fully-faired bike I've ever owned.

- Mark

Yeah... What he said.

And I live in deep South Texas. Honestly, I can't for the life of me see how anyone can say the "radiator fan cooks my left leg at stoplights..." I've owned a ton of bikes, both air- and liquid-cooled, and I can recall a bunch that literally *ROASTED* me, and not just at a standstill. OTOH, the Super Ténéré is one of the coolest, least heat-intrusive bikes I've ever owned, and that surprised me given it's literally fully-faired and has two pistons the size of coffee cans banging up around in there. Even when we had temps well into the 100's this past summer I found it comfortable, fan on or not. And that's with full ATGATT or just blue jeans... Doesn't matter.

Besides, even if someone finds what little heat blows on their leg when the fan is on uncomfortable, just how long is it on? 30 seconds? How long is the stoplight?

Crikey! It's a motorcycle... Not a limo.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote