View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #1770
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scutty View Post
Errrr no, KTM are a business and want to make money. The OC Militia can deride it all they like but the GS market is huge and KTM want a slice. 200 people on a forum are not a market for a brand new bike, no matter how often you all bleat on this thread.
Right now, KTM aren't making your dream machine, get over it
Agreed, the GS market is huge, but most in that segment probably like watching the "Long Way" DVD more than the Dakar....

So, if KTM were truly a business focused exclusively on making money, why then do they spend bazillions of Dollars/Euros/Choose-your-currency on the Dakar each year?

If they had more financial sense (like BMW), they would either:

1) Stop spending that money on the Dakar and invest in new model R&D instead, OR
2) Offer a model or hard parts kit that capitalizes on their Dakar exploits (i.e., 690 Adventure +/or Hard Parts Kit).

The X-Bow is yet another example of KTM having its financial head up its ass. It was probably a pet project of some senior executive whose kid wanted to be the next Aryton Senna.

I can understand not offering a fully homologated 690 Adventure, but not offering at least a Hard Parts kit is asinine given how much they spend on the Dakar.

With all that said, I believe offering the 1190 to the GS market is a stroke of marketing genius and long overdue.

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote