View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #16424
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Standard Excels do only seem to come in silver, but Woody's can powder coat the rims before assembling for an additional $150. You can send them your OEM hubs, or also get a set of Talon ones to fit. I'd get a quote direct from Woody's, but you'll be looking at something in the region of $1,100 for a pair of rims, built with 40-count SuperSize SuperLace stainless spokes and nipples. Then there's the powder coating cost and extra if you want the rims sealing for tubeless.

The short travel suspension on the Scram is going to definitely increased the risk of damaging wheels, whether that be cracked or bent. With godawful stock suspension, those chances are dramatically increased, so if you haven't already it makes sense to upgrade the shocks and forks to start with before dropping big bucks on snazzy rims.

If you have already replaced those parts with something good and adjustable and set them up for rough riding, you'll be in the same boat as me. So, I guess we'll find out if anything less than 6" travel results in busted wheels of some description, no matter how good the rims are.

Regardless, I'm going to give it a shot.
Yes, I already have Bitubo front fork cartridges and YSS rear shocks. They did not help with the bent rims. One more thing on the notes above...

The Scram stock rims are 19 x 2.5 inches, and 17 x 3.5 inches. Both Sun and Excel make the stock rear size, but for the front, it looks like Sun only makes a 19 x 2.75; while Excel makes the stock front size. No biggie, though.
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote