View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben View Post
Yeah, I figured I'd have to slab it all the way. Goal is to leave the day after Christmas and return New Year's Eve.

The coastal route was my original plan with a destination of Big Sur.
Okiedokie... with that in mind, there are a few more-pleasant options once you get closer to Ugeen. If you've got the time, there are some interesting roads in Orygun that parallel the freeway, like this one: Cow Creek Road When dry, it only adds about 30 minutes compared to the freeway.

There's here: http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/ridepa...?page=statemap

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
One can only wonder why...? The coastal route is at least interesting whereas I-5 is boring as hell, not to mention riding along with semi's blowing water all over you and your ride. I love this part of the country but no way would misery like that appeal to me. You must have friends there or maybe an old college squeeze? If not then take the coastal route, camp a little in your waterproof tent, and use the two-day Eugene stay for riding where there's at least a view.

LL75
True, but the OP only has two days to get there, and it's almost 1K miles on the shortest/fastest route. That's not enough time for the coast option, and the days are so short now that he'll either have to be done with riding by 1600, or plan on finding a campground after dark. Taking the slab will let him ride much longer, and do some credit-card camping. After that many hours in the saddle, especially since it's his first time, a hot shower will be almost orgasmic.

Tosh Togo screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 12:17 PM
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote