View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #38
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
I agree that the current café racer fad is as painful as the waning chopper revival. But let me be clear it's the FAD I object to, NOT skilled craftsmen modifying motorcycles, even if their resultant creations are more extreme and less functional than I like. What really boils my cabbage is when neophyte know-nothings make crappy, unsafe modifications to substandard bikes on the cheap and expect others to laud their their work as being on a par with what all those skilled craftsmen have produced.

Clueless hacks are out there building stupid crap in every style, including extended-wheelbase drag bikes, board track replicas and dualsport-conversion street bikes. The key difference is that there's not a trendy show on TV bringing those styles to the general public's consciousness...yet.

Just wait until "Adventure Bike Build-Off" comes to the History of Scientific Travel Channel.
AMEN Brother. Most fo what I see can BARELY be ridden down the street, in a OCC kinda way, never mind be FASTER than a stock old bike.

OTOH, I was stopped a traffic light on the stone stock old Notrun, a passerby smiles and says "Cool cafe racer!" I just waved...

concours screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 04:19 PM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote