11-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
And the planning begins.....
It took me about 100 hours to fully plan out and map the 2012 CAM1k, After spending about an hour on the maps, I am realizing that I have my hands full. I desire to find a loop through Colorado that is 95% dirt and at least 80% unique from the 2012 route.
Here are some initial thoughts.....on areas that I want to route through.
1. Spend some time in the Collegiates/Taylor Park area.
2. Make a big loop through the Rio Grande National Forest.
3. Ride the Flattops north of I25, scirting around the wilderness area.
4. Possibly ride some of the BLM north of Grand Junction, including the Roan Cliffs area.
5. A return trip to the San Juans to tackle the big passes.....but do them backwards from 2012.
With the 2012 route, I had riden about 80% of the route. The way 2013 is shaping up....I have only done about 50%. I figure I will have to make at least three scouting trips once spring time rolls around to verify trails, accessibility and difficulty levels.
'04 KTM 950 Adv S '05 BMW 1200GS