View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #120
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Nope. He has it right. The arrogant, obnoxious prick customer is often the one who gets the best "deal" but that guy whom little money is made is often also the one who demands favors and extras down the line and the one who kills you on a customer satisfaction survey. It isn't worth selling vehicles to people like that. The cost to the dealer outweighs the of the benefits of the sale. The friendly, respectful customer is the one we should be giving the better deals to because in the long run, that's who we develop positive relationships with. It doesn't always work out that way because pushy and loud people are often very difficult to reject.

Your story is a sad tale to me. If you had such a good relationship with that dealer, why did you need to shop his price? Sounds like it wasn't such a good relationship after all. Who knows... maybe your story is complete and the dealer was foolish. Then again, maybe the other dealer had an incentive the first one didn't and was able to make a deal your original guy couldn't. Maybe the original dealer had a good reason why he couldn't come down on that particular model and maybe he tried everything he could to make the deal make sense for all parties.

Maybe the dealer looked at your history and realized that while you spent lots of money with him, he wasn't actually making any money and that you were costing him an inordinate amount of time and aggravation. I don't know. I wasn't there but your story is VERY familiar to me.
I didn't shop his price. The other dealer was offering test rides on two bikes I was interested in. I'd ridden neither so I went. He gave me an OTD price and I took it to the first guy and asked him to match it or at least come close. I could have bought every bike I've bought from him in the past for less. I figured a relationship wasn't worth a few hundred bucks and bought from him anyway. In this case, 15% or so wasn't even in the same ballpark. I have no idea what his reasons were either and it doesn't really matter just as my reasons didn't matter to him.

Good relationship? I like to think it was. I bought bikes from him. I did all the research on parts, gear etc. and sent the parts department OEM, Tucker Rocky, Parts Unlimited and WPS part numbers and asked them to just let me know whenever they were in. The Service Manager would get me warranty parts, I'd install them and he'd get the warranty labor money. I have a close affiliation with a riding facility and would send him customers/business regularly. Wore his t-shirts and plastered his bumper stickers on my truck. Don't know what more I could have done to be a good customer.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote