Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #26222
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Your head remains firmly buried in the sand on this point, Gummee. Your comparison to loud pipes couldn't be further off the mark. Loud pipes do nothing but harm your hearing. Strava allows riders of all levels to track their performance and assess their abilities. It allows you to monitor your heart rate, the energy you've expended in watts, and the total calories burned. It also shows you the areas where your performance is strong and where it's weak. By comparing my times on certain segments to those of other riders, I can see that I'm very strong when it comes to outright speed of flat grades. I'm in the middle of the pack on climbs and on technical trails, so these are the areas I need to devote more time to. I wouldn't be aware of any of this if it weren't for Strava. As for the allure of setting personal records, what exactly is wrong with that? Setting goals is what drives people to improve their abilities and achieve things they never would have thought possible at the outset. Why you continue to insist that only certain goals (i.e. race results) are legitimate is beyond me. The very fact that you need to make non-sensical comparisons to loud pipes shows that your opposition to Strava is devoid of any rational justification.
You keep dancing around the point. If you wanna race, race. The rest is hogwash.

The reason people use strava instead of Training Peaks, the Garmin software, or even MapmyRide is they WANT people to see their results. ...just like loud pipe riders want people to look at them and think 'they're kewl.'

All the strava KOMs in the world don't mean diddly except for 'feel goods' and 'lookit ME!s'

Comparing yourself to others is great IF it means something. IF its a means to an end. If you're 'racing' for yet another KOM what do you get other than 'I feel good about myself.' ?? Congratulations you're the fastest Fred.

You wanna track mileage, speed, HR, power, etc? Great. Its a good thing to do! There's sites (above) that let you compare you to you over time that aren't pseudo 'races.' After all, if you're not racing, what's it matter that you're the KOM? If there's no number on your back, its pretty well irrelevant how fast you are comparatively.

If you're 'racing' for KOMs, why not put on a number and make it a real race? Go find out where you stand IRL rather than 'racing' someone electronically. The biggest thing that bugs me is the passive aggressiveness of 'racing' without really racing that strava is perpetuating.

If you care that much about 'being fastest' but don't wanna race IRL...

M