View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #25
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Most guys who say "I'll buy it just bring it on" thin out once a bike is brought over to these shores. Popping around on a de-tuned 350 single just wouldnt be that exciting.
The 1st time I rode my 530 on the street I was thinking........man some more steam and this would be really neat!
It's cool if you want more power - a sport bike, or a Street Triple R if you want upright ergos, will do it for you. That's not what the 390 Duke is all about, however.

Finally, we are talking about a higher-spec light-weight motorcycle, with power and torque (45 hp, 35 N-m) that is just shy of a Ninja 650R on a weight-to-power basis, in a 324 lb. package (wet). That's 100 lbs. lighter in a full street bike (not SM) package. I'm sorry, but that's not a "detuned" 350 to me. And its a LOT more than a Ninja 300R or Honda CB500, which are the beginner or re-entry level bikes in the US market.

No, it won't run with a KTM-530 SM, but then you're back into 600cc Supersport weight-to-power specs again. If that's what you need for adrenelin, go for it.

I guess I should take this back to the "Small/mid displacement street singles" thread and the "Nobody will buy High-spec 250-400cc sportbikes" thread, where the audience is interested in the topic at hand.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote