View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio View Post
A question for you PNW'ers...what is hwy199 like between Eureka and Eugene? Is an interesting ride? I'm in the early stages of planning a trip from the San Francisco area up to Portland to visit family. I don't want to slab it on Hwy 5, was thinking of taking the coast. I've never been on 101 north of Crescent City. Was thinking of taking Hwy 1 and Hwy 101 up to Florence and then taking 126 over to Portland....

Any thoughts?
If weather and time permits it, that's a great way to go. The first few miles in from 199, before you get to Jedediah Smith Redwoods park, is crooked twisty heaven... so try to have a big gap in front before you dive in. The rest of 199 into Oregon is a pretty nice ride, with lots of variety.

As a scenic backroad alternate, you can turn off before Grants Pass and ride north on this one, then connect to this at Merlin, finally re-joining the freeway at Wolf Creek.

Fyi- the Orygun Coast via 101 is scenic, but it takes all day even when the days are long. Lotsa traffic/towns/etc. It's not a great place to hurry, even on a bike.

This time of year you've only got about 9 hours of daylight, it's generally wet, and there WILL be debris on the road in unplanned places.

OR126 gets a lot of attention from the local Gendarmerie, has beaucoups traffic, and unfortunately you can't lane-split up here like you can at home. If you want to go up the coast and head inland, OR34 is by far the best choice. It'll put you back on I-5 at exit 228.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote