View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #122
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Today's plan was to meet with some ADVriders in St. Louis. I'd been trying to drum up a big group for my last night on the road.

My route took me through some very rural country.

And saw this in a small-town park.

If you follow my ride reports, you might know that I like bridges.

Signs of the drought were apparent. It was hot out, and I felt a lot like the corn looked.

In some places, they were irrigating.

I found a crop sprinkler that was aimed over the road and rode through a handful of times. Fun! And refreshing, too. Don't tell me where the water comes from.

I thought I found another brewery. A beer would be good in this heat.

At first it appeared abandoned, but it seems there was some signs of life here.

Nobody here today. Later research online showed that it's no longer a brewery. Just a restaurant today.

More small towns.

My big welcoming party in St. Louis consisted of Steve, Brian, and me. I've been working with Steve on the Tent Space, and Brian and I worked on the Mississippi River Trail project a couple years ago.

We talked about the hot weather. Steve told me the high in St. Louis had been over 100F today with similar temperatures tomorrow.

We met at the Triumph Grill, which at first looked a little fancy for the likes of me. The food was excellent.

But most amazing, it's attached to a motorcycle museum, though closed. That seems to be an ongoing theme with me. However, there is an open ballroom which had quite a few bikes on display.

I was especially enamored with this homemade wooden motorcycle. The information sign explained that a farmer built it with materials in his barn.

Brian had offered a place to stay. I gave more and more thought to the daytime heat. I changed my plan at the last minute. Even though it was almost midnight, I was going to ride home tonight. I had 288 miles.

Though I wasn't looking forward to the ride, I got on I-55 headed south. I never ride with earphones, but tonight I hooked up my iPod and set my cruise. The hours and miles flashed by. Curiously, that last stretch was one of my best rides, ever. I only stopped for gas and didn't take a single picture. I pulled into my driveway somewhere around 4am.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote