View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Frostback OP
Frostback

Oddometer: 207
A little science on motorcyclists hitting animals (mostly deer)

Hi Folks:

I came across an analysis of motorcyclist collisions with deer conducted in North Dakota and published this year in Wilderness and Environmental Medicine, Vol 23. I am copying the citation and abstract below which I think I can do without copyright infringement. Give it a read. It makes some sense. Mostly deer, mostly at night, higher fatality rate than other types of crashes. Here is the shocker though - Median age of operator was 44 for animal collisions and 30 for non-animal collision wrecks; a highly significant result. Looks like the young turks are cracking up elsewhere and the old guys are out night riding and smacking deer, or at least avoiding more daytime wrecks. Not sure how to interpret that. Of course, helmets were a big player too.

Be careful out there. The rut is in full swing and vehicle/deer strike totals for Oct-Dec exceed the remainder of the year combined. Of course, it is -15 with 8 inches of snow here so I'll not hit one with my bike!

Lee

BRIEF REPORT
Animal-Related Motorcycle Collisions in North Dakota
Patricia S. Bramati, MD; Lynn F. Heinert; Lindsey B. Narloch, MS; Jeff Hostetter, MD;
Javier D. Finkielman, MD
From the University of North Dakota, Center for Family Medicine, Bismarck, ND (Drs Bramati and Hostetter); Traffic Records, North
Dakota Department of Transportation, Safety Division, Bismarck, ND (Ms Heinert); Emergency Medical Services and Trauma, North Dakota
Department of Health, Bismarck, ND (Ms Narloch); and the Intensive Care Unit, Saint Alexius Medical Center, Bismarck, ND (Dr
Finkielman).

Objective.—To study the epidemiology and mortality of animal-motorcycle collisions.

Methods.—A retrospective study of all motorcycle collisions recorded in the North Dakota Department
of Transportation Crash Reporting System from January 2007 to December 2009 was conducted.
Mortality was designated as the main outcome measure.

Results.—Seven hundred sixty-six collisions involving 798 motorcycles were included in this study;
48 of these collisions were with animals (6.3% of all motorcycle collisions). Deer were the most
common animal involved (81%). Most animal-motorcycle collisions took place during nighttime with
clear weather and on straight rural roads. Drivers were older in animal collisions compared with
nonanimal collisions (median of 44 vs 30 years old, respectively, P  .0001). Most drivers were males,
whereas most passengers were females. Helmets were worn by only 32% of drivers and 12% of
passengers. There were 4 (8%; 95% CI, 3%–20%) fatal animal collisions; 9% of the collisions with
large animals were fatal compared with 3% of nonanimal collisions (P  .0411).

Conclusions.—Animal-motorcycle collisions are a small subgroup of all motorcycle collisions, but
with a high mortality rate. Efforts should be made to increase helmet usage, mitigate these collisions,
and increase awareness of this problem among motorcycle riders.
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote