View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #378
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,569
so we stocked up with some real expensive ice, tried for 'hours' before finally someone sorted to fix the Landy puncture, talked to
a lot of other riders on their way to Finke, gave a multiude
of advice (and melbourne bmw's phone number) to a fella on a 650 (or was it a 450?, 650 i think) BMW with a stripped
rear sprocket... drank backpacker-made coffee.... and generally just wasted a shit load of time....

but eventually the itch got too much and we decided to head out a bit for lunch... and let Matty and Ani catch up in
the Landy after their punctures were fixed...

and off we went....

Sundowner...

OzBikeDude...

the designated end of the world where lunch would be had...

course we found a tree for some shade...

plenty of evidence around of how harsh this country can be...

there was a couple of UHF radios amoungst us, so we were able to flag down Matty when we spotted him
chuggin across the horizon and direct him and the multitude of sandwich fillings he was carrying in to our tree....

so lunch was had and then we were off on the long lonely outback roads again...

we'd just crossed into the Simpson Desert (witjira) National Park

I'd stopped to take a photo of this :

when OzBikeDude came past....

then UncleGra rocked up... he stopped though!

we had a bit of a chat and decided that since it was getting on, and more importantly, we had Ani with us..

and she wasnt technically allowed in the National Park, so it prob wasnt wise to camp at Dalhousie Springs
where there would be other people and possibly a ranger..

So we figured we should go back a few kms outside the park and bush camp again..

TonyRDR rocked up..

we bounced the idea off him... he agreed, and said he'd go chase OzbikeDude and bring him back..

we told him we'd find a camp and there would either be one of us, or a jerrycan etc to mark were we had gone...

So UncleGraham and i turned around and cruzed back, keeping an eye out for a camp, until Sundowner caught up..

we had a chat, and then i went off one side, Sundowner went the other and Graham waited for us, and Matty, and Tony, and...

I found a place that would do, Sundowner found a spot he didnt think was too bad, so Sundowner
and I headed off to get a fire goin etc..

Matty rocked up too... which meant Ani could help collect firewood..

also meant we could crack a well earned beer...

I downed a beer and quickly set-up my tent..

then grabbed a few beers and said i'd go take UncleGra (who was still waiting back out at the track for Tony and Aub) a beer..

one of the rockiest places on earth was located between our camp and the track...

UncleGra wasnt keen for a beer, so i said i'd wait on the track while he went to camp and got his tent set-up in
the little bit of remaining light...

looked like there was a decent sunset brewing...

so i bummed around taking a few photos...

then sat down and had another beer...

still no sign of them.... shit Aub likes to ride that 950 quick!... thought Tony should have caught him by now thou...

should we send someone else out to see whats up...?

was just contemplating this thought when i saw a faint flicker on the horizon..

i turned my headlight and hazard lights on so who-ever it was wouldnt come barreling thru the creek and over the top of me...

a few minutes lates Ozbikedude arrived..

i pointed him off to camp........

and then cracked another beer and watched the sunset while waiting for Tony..

once again the flicker of a headlight appeared on the horizon and on my lights came again..

and TonyRDR arrived..

i lead him in to camp...

Matty demonstrates the 'salute'...

once again a more than suitable camp...

only one thing missing out here in the middle of australia...

yep, a BBQ plate full of Kingfish wings...

Matty you legend!

so a fair old feed,

my camp was set... So was Tony's...

Sundowners wasnt...

Aub was wearing out Ani.... umm, i mean Ani was wearing out Aub...

the moon was up...

and 'Camp Kingfish' was born into legend..

but we were all stuffed, and so after probably a few too many beers and bullshit and stick-throwing...

the lights went out on another great day...

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote