Originally Posted by McRuss
So you think I90 is preferable to the western section of Beartooth?
Yep. Well, I'm not saying that those 35 miles of I90 are better than the entire Western Beartooth, but all things considered I think that's the best route for you:
- You're going to Alaska, and not likely you will have time to see anything in YSNP.
- You can save yourself the 5 or 10 dollar park entry fee
- Western BTHwy compared to East BTHwy and Chief Joseph, I would rate it a distant third out of three as far as scenery and motorcycle fun road.
- Mid June is about two weeks after Memorial Day Weekend, which is the unofficial opening day at Yellowstone. IIRC, late spring is supposed to be the best time for animal viewing. The NE section is the best place in the park for animal viewing. So I think that is actually the worst possible time and place to try to beat traffic through the park.
- You'll do a Yellowstone trip eventually, and can take a day to hit all three of those roads twice