View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
De Eee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Day 7- the last day.

Things got moving awfully slow on our last day. We had planned to go to Jawbone and do a ride on the way home but Tom is sick and heading home today with Mike driving. The trip has lost momentum but that’s OK, we’ve had a blast. I just want a casual ride back intend to ride back to Bigpine via Wyman Creek and Silver Cyn. over the White Mtns. Pete decides to go that way as well. Mikey, Chris, Jimmy, Rob, Mark and Robert (on Tom’s bike) will ride the Fish Lake Valley ridge singletrack again and then back to Big Pine via Redding Cyn. where we will meet up for the drive home.
One last time we soak, pack it all up, prep the bikes and are off. Pete and I head south down Fish Lake Valley. About 10 miles from camp I look off to the right and am stoked to see a mountain lion running away from the road! Pete sees him too. There is no wildlife sighting like a big cat, it’s even better than wild horses. His movements are so fluid weaving his way left and right through the brush. That just made my day.

We stop briefly in Dyer for photos and then south back into California and over Gilbert Pass. We drop into Deep Springs Valley and turn right on the dirt of Wyman. Wyman Creek is as beautiful as ever. Even in this really dry year the creek is flowing strong and there are many water crossings.

We stop for lunch and then head up to the crest of the Whites and the Bristlecone Pine forest area at over 10,000 feet. The Bristlecones are among the oldest living things on earth, some are near 5000 years old.

We stop at the crest and I take a panorama of the Sierra.

The view of my favorite mountain range is awesome from here. The road down into Silver Cyn. is very steep. You don’t want to blow a corner. After a while I lose my rear brakes to overheating and proceed cautiously with front brake and engine drag. We meet a couple of riders coming up and stop to chat. This gives my brakes time to cool down. One of the guys owns a bicycle shop in Palm Desert. They are on a KTM 950 SE and a Husky 650 (?). It’s around a 6000-7000 foot descent all the way to Bishop.

From Bishop we take a dirt road south along the Owens River until we are forced out to Highway 395. We cross over past Keough Hot Springs and follow the dirt power line road into Big Pine and the Glacier View Campground where Rick and Jimmy are waiting. It’s another ~100 miles done. Mike and Tom have passed through an hour or so before to drop off our gear and head home. A couple of hours later the rest of the guys pull in and we load up and head south stopping at the Mt. Whitney Café in Lone Pine for dinner. I was home in Tustin at 2:30 am.

I want to thank everyone for a super cool trip. You are 13 of the funnest and funniest people I know and you all made this trip special. From the riding to the rousing and hilarious campfires it was a blast from beginning to end. Thanks to Mike, Robert, Rick and Jon for the epic support work. Thanks to Pete, Jesse, Jon and Chris for use of their photos. I’d like to give a special thanks to our fearless leader Tom for having the genius to put it all together and make it happen. As Mark said "we are rich men." FTI and BGR rules!

De Eee screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 12:50 PM
De Eee is offline   Reply With Quote