View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #112
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
:) been waiting for that question.

Tighten the thumb screw till the two metal halves meet and the thumb screw should STOP turning. now keep on turning and notice the gradual progressive increase in resistance. Those are brazilian 17-7 belleville washers stacked in dual opposing stacks. It is what actually makes the omni WORK. without them its nearly impossible to find a good adjustment to hold the throttle, stop the omni from loosening with vibration, but still be able to rotate it when you need to AND be able to turn the omni with just your thumb. Took over 2 months and literally hundreds of combinations of spring rates, stack configurations, sizes, thicknesses and geometry to get it right.

Well thank god you used Brazilian bellevilles, and did not use American belleville washers!!!!

My first thought was "why didn't he just put a spring in there?"........and my second thought.......after a couple of Scotch's was........."I should be able to save some weight and get rid of some of these washers!"................remember............that was after imbibing in some fine 12 year old...........Scotch, that is!!

If I had been able to see the washers for what they are, I would have recognized the bellevilles............I've never seen them that small before!

You might want to include a warning on your instruction sheet to dissuade foolish individuals from removing the adjuster screw. If those bellevilles are not stacked correctly, you will not have any spring tension. EDIT........finally had a look at the instruction sheet, and see you did put a warning on there

Once again............great product at a reasonable price!

Thanks Brian

Droptarotter screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 12:02 PM
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote