View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #35
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 314
Tuxtlan G to Huehue Tenango

Julio and I were both beat so we had a couple of beers in the lobby of our hotel and crashed. My room had 4 beds so I was nervous I might get a late night check in but the front desk said it was private for me that night. I think it was about 400 pesos. Didn't matter much to me I was so tired I could have slept on the couch in the lobby and I was trying to use up my pesos.

Julio and had a great time riding together and he kept paying for my tolls. Damn nice even though I kept saying no necessito. He had a sweet glove box on the ST that made it fast instead of me stumbling through my pocket like an idiot.

My two days of tolls - missing about 4 receipts that Julio picked up.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Total of somewhere around 100 bucks US!!! Ouch and the $75 flight change. I still come out $225 ahead once I get my deposit back and most of all no hassle at border!!! I made the right call to push hard and get it done.

Getting close to Guat

Julio is all thumbs up!

The mountains of Guatemala

LOOK WHO MADE THEIR BIG DEADLINE!!
DCIM\100GOPRO

Paperwork done!!
DCIM\100GOPRO

Now to the Guat border and then back to the Mexico one and then back to Guat. I was so happy to get my TVIP done that I missed the INM office right next to the Aduana. It was just to process my tourist card so I was just going to say the hell with it. Then the Guat Immigration guys was "where is your stamp" I said see you in a little while Julio. Back-track 4 KM get it handled then back to Guat. No problem for me coming in but the bike took about an hour because the lady was at lunch. Its all good I am just making borders part of the journey. I gear down as much as I can and lock everything to my bike and hang out. Julio is even better at just hanging out at the border than I am.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

As others have said. You know that you are in another country entering Guat immediately. It took me a day or so to adjust.

Some go Pro shots at the border.
DCIM\100GOPRO

DCIM\100GOPRO

Just a few kilos into Guat

Ok time to get a little sentimental. Its really cool to me that I can meet a random dude on a moto in the middle of Mexico and even with a language barrier, an instant friendship is formed. Julio and laughed a lot talked about all the things we could and rode hard. I didn't realize how easy my past 2 days had been until I was on my own again. Even when I didn't understand what was going on I knew that Julio had my best interest in mind. He is one good hombre any where in the world. I don't know if I will ever see him again but I know his generosity and love of of riding made an impact on me. I will be in touch with him and told him if he can ever make it to Alaska I will promise him a great moto ride and try to match his generosity!! I also told him we have no toll roads:

Big Teaser for the next post: THERE ARE ONLY TWO KINDS OF BIKES...

Not going to make it to the Tikal Ruins
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote