Originally Posted by Windrock
Is there anything written or posted anywhere on the NET that can help with understanding workflow between BaseCamp and the Montana unit. Specifically organzing data in BaseCamp, transferring data between BaseCamp -> Montana and Montana -> BaseCamp. I am Trying to understand how BaseCamp operates so thought if there was some example WorkFlow's someone could post.
I am very familiar with MapSource but I understand I need to be using BaseCamp with my new Montana.
Have you tried the BaseCamp tutorial videos? Look under Help -> Video Tutorials. This will open a browser window with the following video tutorial options: Adventures, BirdsEye, Find, Introduction, Organizing Data, Routes, Sharing, and Tracks. Start with the "Introduction" and "Organizing Data" videos.
Key points to note:
- In BaseCamp, all of your data is stored in a single database called "My Collection."
- Your data can be organized in List Folders, or in Lists. I believe the Mac version of BaseCamp also offers "Smart Lists" -- the Windows version of BaseCamp does not.
- Your original data is always located in "My Collection." A List it is just a way of organizing how you view your data in "My Collection."
- A List Folder is a way to organize Lists. Start by creating some List Folders.
- You can have Folders within Folders.
- You can have any number of Lists in a List Folder.
Watch the "Organizing Data" video a couple of times, to ensure you understand the concepts. Then try creating some Lists, Folders and some data in those.
You may also find this BaseCamp Wiki useful:
I recommend you experiment with BaseCamp a bit, to learn how it works, before you begin migrating your data from Mapsource to BaseCamp. And when you do begin to migrate your data, do so SLOWLY, not all at once.