View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #53
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad
 
Parepin's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: That's... a tough one to answer
Oddometer: 1,079
With the gussets fabbed together, I turned my attention to the two sleeves. I had marked the frame with red paint pen where it had snapped on me and used this as a guideline for the reinforcement. I was going to try to bridge the weak point as far as I could on either side and encompass the stock tubes as much as possible. The material I had purchased for this fix proved to be quite a bit thicker and stiffer than the factory material which made forming it around the different diameters of the backbone and the down tube kind of a pain in the ass. This, along with the sheer amount of protrusions and random interference along the frame, proved to be too much work and I figured a partial sleeving would be enough.









I spent the better part of a day with the grinder nestled in my palm, trimming and cleaning up the sleeves. The backbone was pretty simple and easy, and with the break being damn near in the center of the framing member, I was able to bridge the new frame quite a bit on either side of this weak point. The down tube, however, proved to be quite a bit more work for me. With all of the fittings and holes for the skid plate, engine brackets, and radiator mounts, it took a fair amount of work to make sure the new sleeve would clear everything. This broke at the base of the upper factory gussets, just below the triple trees. I would have to find a creative way to get this reinforced seeing as this break would be towards the end of the sleeve.





With everything checked and triple checked, it was time to break out the welder. Now before I go showing off pics of the welding project, I'm just gonna tell you right now. I'm no welder. I can get the job done, especially with the MIG setup that Dan had stashed in the corner of this octane haven, but it aint pretty.

And so I went about tacking the gussets in place. I wanted to keep as many things on the bike as I could during this process, just to make sure nothing interfered. I was able to sneak the grinder in most spots and clean out a fair amount of the factory paint before zapping any steel. The gussets went in fine, with no interferences. The sleeves took a bit of work. I had to spread the sleeve for the backbone a bit, and the downtime I had to pinch in. A C-clamp made quick work of positioning and I simply went around the outside with a few spot welds as well as a few placed in holes that I had drilled in the field.





Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote