View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #50
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Oddometer: 737
Bear Lake/Garden City

After filling up our tummies with yummy food at Mae's, we headed north on hwy 16 and back into Utah. We stopped and topped off our tanks at Woodruff. Odometer indicated 135 miles from last fill up in Midway. From Woodruff the route follows hwy 39 going west for another 20 miles of pavement before the turn off onto a unpaved graded service road.

The "unnamed" service road basically follows a similar elevation profile for a number of miles and passes thru high mountain aspen groves, conifers and open meadows. Very pretty area. Apparently this is the back way into Hardware Ranch and elk viewing area. See info here...

It was a quick 50 mile run on the service road into US 89, which leads into Garden City, and the massive Bear Lake.

Our day ended in full day light at around 5:30pm, which was a nice change from the previous two evenings. We stopped at local store and bought all the trimmings to make a big massive pot of spaghetti. This would come back to bite me later...promise not to get detailed.

Another fancy lodging layover, this time in the WorldMark Bear Lake timeshare. Nothing but the best care for my most excellent but injured riding partner. He really sucked up the foot pain today. Saw our first big bull moose of the trip, right next to the lodging. Smart old boy.... After dinner, rented one of the later james bond movie's, but I fell asleep.

Another incredible day of riding. 7 more to go...

This concludes our time on the UTBDR. Want to send a big thanks to Touratech discovery team for a well thought out route that exceeded our expectations. Also to Butler maps for producing a most excellent big overview paper map. Could the upcoming CO route get any better?

Next up Day 5 to Pocotello ID

'14 KTM 1190 Adv, '12 KTM 350EXC, '09 Yamaha WR250R

dvwalker screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 01:41 PM
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote