View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
KLF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I've been in the market for a new camera for some time now. My current one is old Canon that eats AA batteries. Yea, that old. I don't carry it around much, it's too big to fit in comfortably.

So far the options I've found are:

Sony TX-20
Nikon Coolpix AW100
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT4 / TS4
Canon PowerShot D20
Olympus Tough TG-1
Pentax Optio WG-2
(some of the model names might differ around the world)

I was first interested in Panasonic but many reviews say it's waterproofing isn't the best one possible and many Amazon's users are giving it one star for the same reason.

Nikon AW100, it has GPS and integrated world map, sounds good. However image quality in sample pictures hasn't been that good and coming from me those were pretty bad. It has two attachment points for a strap, so I'd imagine a neck strap might work. Operating the camera with gestures sounds also funny but usable with a bike, gloves on and all.

Sony TX-20 is still the most interesting one for me. Small and probably very easy to use one-handed on the road (slide cover to power on). No GPS but 3D. Touchscreen won't work underwater or with gloves but maybe with a stylus. Weak point is sand/dust getting under the slide cover.

Canon D20 looks awful, like a toy camera and big.

Olympus is quite expensive here and Pentax, that I haven't seen live yet.

While I have no plans to go actually diving or throw the camera around in sand (if those happen, it's either a faceplant or I've driven into a river and I've got other things to worry...), just having it with me and knowing it will survive if rainstorm hits and camera is in unprotected pocket is enough. That said, I think I'd carry it most in jeans front pocket during summer and jacket pocket otherwise.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/Fea...a-Showdown.htm
I've found one site that has these models rated but I'd like some real-life experiences too. Mentally I've been set for Sony TX-20 for a while now. Should I lose my future paycheck for it?
KLF is offline   Reply With Quote