View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #478
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Veyo Compressor

Had a few hours on Saturday afternoon. Rode out to see the Veyo Compressor even though the weather was overcast. Very easy to get spoiled by blue sky and sunshine in Southwest Utah. Average ride, but still fun. A few pics coming . . .

But first, thanks to PurpleSage and BMWJustin. PurpleSage - really enjoy your ride reports. Try catch them all. Too bad about the weather challenges from your trip to CA. Just to have reload. Yeah, BMWJustin, the paved road up to Kolob Reservoir is sweet. And the dirt beyond that goes through to Cedar City is good riding. Did the dirt connection about 2 years ago, prior to becoming an inmate. Here's a pic from paved road as it snakes in and out of Zion.

Check out post #240 (p. 16), Smith Mesa, and #337 (p. 23), Kolob Reservoir Road.

On to my recent ride to the Veyo Compressor. The Compressor is, I think, essentially a "pumping" station for a large natural gas pipeline that runs through the area. It is just north of Gunlock on a high quality dirt road. Well marked on Benchmark, so I won't bother with a map. Lots of rougher ATV-type trails in the area. Checked out a few, but not that much time, plus no sunshine.

First pic was leaving St. George / Santa Clara / Ivins heading west on Old #91. I'll be taking a bunch of Cub Scouts for hike to see petroglyphs in a few weeks. Good to grab a pic of the trailhead sign. Easier to give instructions.

Had fun riding the sweepers out past Gunlock Reservoir. Reservoir looked fine, but drab, so I kept going. Did stop briefly in Gunlock town to grab a pic of the old fire truck. Appreciate these things more and more, especially as you see similar items in other inmate ride reports. A couple more pics of the firetruck from Post #182 on p. 13.

The turn north onto the dirt road to the Veyo Compressor is marked by the Eagle Mountain Ranch. Also at the bottom of wash. Leave the pavement here. Easy to see, even at speed.

Passed a few ATVs returning from the Goldstrike area. Grapevine Wash exits onto the Veyo Compressor Road. See Post #357, page 24. Bike at the facility entrance.

Lots of fencing, security, and cameras. Also no smoking. Grab a pic, time to go.

Followed a pipeline connector road northeast across the ravines of the Tobin Bench. A bit rocky but fine. I knew this would connect with the well-traveled Veyo-Shoal road (good dirt from Veyo to Gunlock Reservoir). Go take a look at the Bull Valley ATV trail.

Short section of the ATV trail. Lots of loose rock.

Generally I kept heading for the Veyo-Shoal road. Easy find. Stopped and talked with a grandpa who had three young kids with him. They were having fun target shooting, but were positioned to shoot across part of the trail. Guess they didn't expect to see anyone coming from my direction. Friendly "heads up" -- no issues.

Back at the intersection with pavement at the bottom of the Veyo Wall. Lots of good rides have started at this point, generally headed towards Enterprise Reservoir. Post #443 on page 30 is from two months ago and features some nice fall colors.

From Veyo I bombed back south on Highway #18. The WRR couldn't keep pace with my Versys (at all), but still has enough go to maintain reasonable highway speeds for modest distances. Much more capable than the TW. Took the "short-cut" down through Snow Canyon. Super scenic, but poor light. Some rock climbers high on a wall were attracting a few viewers from below. State Park pass makes it easy to drive through Snow Canyon rather than pound it out on #18 all the way down the hill to St. G.

Last pic of a beautiful yellow tree near bottom of Snow Canyon by Red Mountain spa. No sunlight so the colors have no pop, but lots of the trees in town are still sporting their final colors. It is fading, but still spectacular. The fall color season in Southwest Utah starts about Sept 15th at Brian Head and works down elevation and slightly southward for a solid two months. Lots of good reasons to ride, just pick your elevation and go.

Thanks for riding along. And thanks for all the positive comments.

Open invite for inmate ride on Wednesday, 12/5. Dual sport bikes. Starting about 10 am. Heading towards Utah hill and/or Nevada, likely 3-4 hours. Post up or pm if interested.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote