View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #59
Christeon
The BIG TICKET

Oddometer: 31
I was surprised at the amount of dew or frost every morning so a fly is needed. I was comfortable in a -15 Big Agnes bag the entire trip. I packed a bit heavy myself and will lose a couple of items this time, I carried a full sized chair and only used it twice. I packed food for 6 nights and only ate two meals from that. If this year is similar to last year packed food will only be used if we get stuck somewhere late and don't reach a place open to eat or decide to set up camp. Some people like to eat camp food, I liked visiting the different places to eat. I think carrying two suppers would be plenty, we passed places to grab food throughout the trip last year. Breakfast was about 50/50 oatmeal vs. restaurants the planners can guide us better on what to expect for availability. Lunch I carried a protein bar or tuna pack and flat bread but a couple days we stopped for lunch the best was near the end, an ice cream pop and an apple fritter!

Matt had some really up to date and cool camping gear, looking back I think all you really need is a tent, pad, bag, set of clothes including camp shoes, a bit of food and water, tubes or plugs and your tools.

Cool camping items:
packtowl works great, lightweight and packs small
nemo fillo Expensive for a pillow but I love the thing.
nemo pad I used a neo air all season and slept great but Matt's nemo looked awesome, pretty much the same pad but with some foam on top.

OH YEAH! I almost forgot, grease your steering head bearings! Seriously you need to go through your entire bike and freshen up everything that is worn a couple weeks before the trip not the night before.
Christeon is offline   Reply With Quote