View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Dustodust OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
It took me 3 months of failures and successes to finally figure out how to do this but now I made it happen
I rode for several years with a hacked up stock screen that I cut and layed back to speed up air and stop the buffetting of the stock rally style windscreen
I started out to just make one for myself but when I showed it around I got a lot of requests so I made some more
the first ones I was making with a crude basic mold and they took about 30-40hours of post finishing to fix all the bubbles that normnally happen with vacuum bagging. So I had to stop and regroup and devise another method if I was to suceed
so I set out to do resin infusion which produces a flawless part with no entrapped air ' the resin is pulled into the reinforcement fabric by vacuum
I built the mold after making a positive plug using tooling gelcoat and special resin made for molds
there is a careful process to make the mold
the first one I made got ruined when I didnt cure it enough, got the part stuck to the mold and I had to start over and make a new mold

I had a materials supplier make the tooling, a rubber top for the infusion
it took weeks of failures to finally find a process to make gem quality carbon fiber parts now I have a dependable process and cut the time down to just a few hours to make a part
the part is made by carefully making a sandwich with the fiber material , then a perfect vacuum is held with no leakdown , then the resin is infused through the fabric, here it is going in

when it comes out of the mold it looks like this

after the part is properly cured , it takes about an hour of skilled craftamnship to cut and shape and polish

Easy
now hopefully I can sell a few now to recoup some material costs

Dustodust screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 12:33 PM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote