Thread: Mobile Mancaves
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
PA Slammer OP
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 876
Hueychief,

I saw those before. You gotta post more. Love the "in action" photos at camp. Really gets the mind wondering and wishing. I was thinking of getting a trailer like that. What are the weight restrictions; tongue weight, trailer weight, cargo weight?

Right now, I'm thinking of going with a 615 VRV Basecamp;
Hitch Weight 420 lbs
Dry Weight 2,450 lbs
Gross Weight 4,500 lbs
Cargo Weight 2,050 lbs
Axle Weight 2,250 lbs

They are awesome looking, seem very light and being all aluminum, I would think pretty long lasting. Anyway, I'm still on the fence, but about to make the jump. Currently I have a Roadtrek RS Adventurous (Mercedes Sprinter 3500). I've been trying to figure out what all the trailering restrictions mean.
Gross vehicle weight rating 11030 lbs (maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers)
Gross combined weight rating (3) 15250 lbs (total mass of a vehicle, including all trailers)
Occupants & cargo carrying capacity (2) max. 3000 lbs
Towing - tow weight (4) 7000 lbs
Towing - tongue weight (5) 750 lbs

(1) Add 250 mm/10 if equipped with optional Continental spare tire kit.
(2) Allowance for weight of occupants, water, propane and cargo. Reduced by weight of optional equipment.
(3) GCWR includes total weight of vehicle, trailer, equipment, fuel, water, propane, cargo, driver and passengers.
(4) Maximum towable weight with driver and fuel only. This weight reduced by weight of optional equipment, water, propane, cargo and/or passengers.
(5) A weight distributing hitch is required for tongue weights over 200 Kg/400 lbs.

I think all that means that my rig weighs 11030 lbs (GVWR) fully loaded passengers included and I can trailer 4220 lbs more (adds up to the 15250 lbs (GCWR))

My only question with the manufacturers numbers was the towing weight of 7000 lbs. I guess the note which says "This weight reduced by weight of optional equipment, water, propane, cargo and/or passengers.", reduces the 7000 lbs down to the 4220 lbs I came up with.

Anyone still awake after that? Hello...
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote