View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
FixerDave OP
KLR650 - XR200R

Oddometer: 373
Question Routing and Riding

I couldn't care less about routing. I ride where the wind blows me, don't know where I'm going when I hit the gas... vague ideas about areas I want to explore maybe. I do like to know where I am and I like to know what's around me, thus I love my GPS, but the last thing I want is some computer telling me where to go.

I read, and it seems I'm the odd minority in this. Everyone seems like they're always going on about turn-by-turn routing. Why?

Honestly, I'm curious. I'm not saying that routing is un-biker-like, though a bunch of people riding motorcycles on adventures do seem like the group least likely to stick to some fixed itinerary. I mean, yeah, having some little box tell you which way to turn when you're trying to find the next soccer field for your kid's game, or trying to beat the traffic on a daily commute, would be great, but for getting on a bike and just going out to have fun?

I make my own maps. I have my regular riding routes... though, not routes in GPS specific terms. The regular trails I ride are highlighted in blue and labelled "connector between such and such" or whatever. Places I find in Google Earth that look interesting wind up on my map highlighted in orange, and also labelled. If I'm riding along and an orange bit comes up on my map, maybe I'll feel inclined to check it out, maybe not. If I'm riding along some blue path, maybe I'll stray off if something looks interesting. Nothing is fixed - I'm out there having fun. But, I'm an odd kind of guy. I seem to enjoy bashing my head against a computer, beating raw map data into submission, about as much as I enjoy beating the rest of my body while out on some trail a KLR as no business being. Are people using stock routing because it's the closest they can get to what I have, without all the pain, or are they after something entirely different?

So, how odd am I? Are there others that don't bother with turn-by-turn routing? Is routing something particularly useful for groups of riders that want to end up in the same place but don't want to play follow the leader? Is there some other hidden magic to turn-by-turn routing that I'm oblivious too?

Just looking at the rain, not quite ready to tear the engine down on the bike, and waiting for spring. Seems like a good time for some biker philosophy,

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote