View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #41
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Maybe not cool, but sort of a 'macho' thing? Im not really sure on this one either, and im under 30

My 1200 Bandit isnt the most flashy bike, but it is a great deal more comfortable than a sportbike and even faster in a straight line (isnt stock)- wont turn for shit though (weight, suspension). That said, I bought it mainly for that rush of acceleration, and secondly to do longer trips with. It rarely gets attention, most of my buddies who ride sport bikes give me shit, etc, so im not really sure about 'cool'. I have to say ive had more compliments and comments on the DR650 in the short time ive owned it then I have had for the Bandit the entire time Ive owned it.

I really think it boils down to 'conquering' a given environment- sportbikes conquer tracks and streets faster than any bike, while dirtbikes conquer dirt faster than any bike. The DR650 isnt the best at either. Men are heavily driven to 'conquer' everything around them- money, women, locations, other men (by dominating them, e.g. sports, fights, etc), and maybe thats why DRs arent really popular with the younger group. JMHO
That makes sense, the conquer theory. I also get slack for riding the dr with my sport bike friends, usually I get the " when are you going to sell that thing and get a real bike?". Ill usually hear that on the streets when we ride fast, but as soon as we go in the twisties, they are shocked that I can keep up.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote