View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
dirtysouthjacket OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Ok, another couple updates to the OBX trip... I want to get back on updating regularly as soon as football season is over. I've still been riding, but the number of real trips has taken a big hit.

The night at Oregon Inlet was pretty terrible. Hot, buggy, muggy, loud campground, barking dogs. Everyone woke up a little cranky. We were hoping it would be windy being near the beach and make it comfortable. The ranger office even recommended us to be prepared.

So what to do? We rolled north up Hwy 12 and looked for a Brew THru. Its basically a drive thru convenience store. We got some adult beverages for later in the day and headed to Jockey's Ridge. Its a huge sand dune range.

Here is the Bandy's checking out the selection.

Walking out to Jockey's Ridge... drinks in hand.

Goofing off with the GoPro

The adult beverages completely wore off by the time we left, the place was massive, and walking in deep sand is pretty tiring.

We headed back up the road, past Kitty Hawk, Duck and Pine Island. I got some funny videos on my other computer I will have to post up from that area.

Finally we made it to Corolla which is where the highway becomes part of the beach. It was pretty cool. Here it is legal to take street legal vehicles on the beach, since it is a highway all the way up to the Virginia border. No special permit needed. We found it was the only place in all of the Outer Banks that it is legal to take a dual sport on the beach.

If you are riding two up, getting on and off the beach is the hardest since that is where the thick sand is. We had the ladies dismount til we got the bikes down to the hard packed sand by the waters edge.

You have to go half a mile on the beach before you can legally stop. A lot of people pull their trucks and all wheel drive vehicles over to hang out and party on the beach. We did see several dummies that took passenger cars out that were having to get a tow. There is a company that parks tow trucks right at the entrance to the beach specifically for them.

Saw some sweet sand rails.

We made it about two miles before we decided to turn back because it was getting dark. Bandy had already had one spill trying to go around a group of highschool girls that didn't want to get out of his way.

And then one of the highlights of the trip. A herd of wild ponies had come out of the dunes and was cooling off in the water. It was pretty cool.

And then the inevitable happened... On the way back off the beach, the KLR decided it was tired. I almost saved it, but alas, gravity won yet again...

Had to stop and get ice cream on the way back into Corolla, I think we collectively ate about 2 gallons on the trip.

And on the way to dinner at Sunset Grille and Raw Bar (which has amazing views of the sound, food not so much) I caught a monster bug in the eye. Was being a little lazy with the visor. Damn it sucked, had to have surgery performed on the back of the KLR.

We ended up finding a small bed and breakfast on Roanoke Is to spend the night in. It was a nice break from the hot tents. We loaded up and road back to Columbia SC amid cloudy skies. We rode back by way of 95 and ended up getting stuck in some rain near South of the Border.

Made it home safe and sound. I think total on the trip we had 3 sand naps between the two bikes which is pretty good. Dual Sporting to the Outerbanks is definitely different compared to a trip in the mountains. But definitely still fun. However, the camping is limited and the trip would probably be best for a late fall, early spring trip since the weather and bugs can be rough. Also it gets crazy busy in during the peak summer season when school is out.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans

dirtysouthjacket screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 02:30 PM
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote