View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall_smith View Post
Thanks for the comment!

As for your question, the camper seems to pull just fine regardless of whether the deck is loaded or unloaded. The first picture in my previous post is about as loaded down as this particular rig will ever get. I would estimate that there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 800-900 lbs on the deck and probably 500-600 lbs in the bed/cab of the truck in that photo.

When the deck is loaded I like to use my weight distribution hitch, which helps "eliminate" some of the tongue weight. I live in Shawnee, KS and pulled that setup to Custer, SD and back and never had any problems that were related to weight or anything like that. Except for the fact that my mileage went down to about 13 mpg for the whole trip. I can't complain though, since we were loaded heavy and moving pretty fast most of the time.
So I guess that with the load deck empty, the trailer is close to the usual tongue weight (approx 10% of gross), and when the load deck has 800 lbs of bikes on it, your truck and hitch are heavy duty enough that extra tongue weight isn't noticeable?