View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Thanks Jager, that was quite informative and I got a few new ideas. I totally agree about it being up to US in the dual sport community to improve the dual sport map content OURSELVES by taking time to upload maps. I put some tracks from Baja in GPSXchange.com because that was where I found the best Baja tracks before my trip so I tried to give back. I'd like to see DualSportMaps.com take off and grow and I appreciate their initiative. The last time I looked there I couldn't find much for they area I was interested in.

I totally understand your point about trails - but roads, even small ones and especially in high desert areas like Utah, are nice to have every one you can find. Sure sometimes they may not be passable anymore and that is a risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
I might be misunderstanding the question in thinking it is about 24k versus 100K, but...
yeah. I was not talking about the 100k map, but what I was trying to ask about was the difference between the 2 types of Topo 24k maps, the 2-state set vs. the 4-state set. For example you can get Colorado in either 24k set. Here is my question again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
... Topo 24k "Mountain Central" (a 2 state set that retails for $99). And others have posted about the 24k "West" or "Southwest" DVD (each one covers 4 states and retails for $129).

I am wondering why Garmin sells both types? Is it just to offer a slighty cheaper set if you only needed say 1 state like Colorado?

Is the data on these 2 the same or completely different (for the same area)?
I hope to just get a complete picture in this thread that someone will post up the screen shots I asked for earlier. Hope it was clearly stated earlier.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote