View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #1641
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengai In Toronto View Post
Not sure if anyone mentioned this... because I don't want to read 110 pages of this thread to find out. But apparently until their demise, used Yugos were often sold for much more than new ones, because buyers knew that all the faulty factory parts had to have been replaced by the time they were sold second-hand. Not sure how this relates, or if its even relevant to the Ural discussion, just find it interesting, and in the realm of sketchy Euro vehicles.

That being said, I'd love a Ural. If a sorted used one popped up around here I'd be all over it!
I think this is BS. No one wanted a Yugo desperately enough to pay more for a used one than for a new one. They'd just buy a used Honda instead. New ones had warranties, after all.

Plus, most of the things that broke on Yugos were piddly crap like window cranks, door latches, climate control cables, and so forth. There weren't any significant problems with the Yugo drivetrain or running gear.

Yes, I had a Yugo for years. I bought it used for $200 with 30,000 miles on it. It was a great little car, providing you could live with manual steering.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote