View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
jonnyc21 OP
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 729
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
IT can depend, if your club makes beginner all the time... My club seldom has beginner, so what has happened is the novice line eased up a lot, so he's probably right.

My 17 year old recruit is about the same after 5 weeks since he bought his 280. he can almost jump onto a parked car, but if I make him turn tight to jump a 12-18 inch log, he's in trouble

I cannot stress enough, IMHO turning and balance, WORK ON IT. if you can turn (98 of 100 people that is) and keep balance to execute the obstacle you do with a 3/4ths mile "prepare/runup to" you will be damn good very soon. But doing figure 8's for 98 of 100 people, seem boring, especially the younger people. I spend hours, practicing turning techniques, and BTW, Ive been riding for 40 years, I enjoy it, most dont.
Interesting that you bring up turning, the first 4 times I was on the bike (not on a course) it was just in the yard with a flat section and 2 hills to play on forcing me to turn tight, figure 8 level turns and balance. I loved the challenge of making the turns as tight as I could and learning to stop and keep the bike balanced. (Still working on both.)
I found the tight turns he had me doing challenging and fun! I learned how to do them better and better as the day went on. Having to go over a log, up a hill, or down a dip right after a turn was something I new I would have to do but doing it was quite a bit different than I had expected, again fun.

I on the other hand don't think I would be able to jump onto a parked car... :)

Thanks for the advice and I will remember to keep working on the 8's, including on hills, and the balance. (It felt great the first time I stopped the bike and kept it up without moving for more than 60 seconds, longest time so far was about 3 min.)
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote