View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #129
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
You be the judge: is Off the grid a orange kool-aid drinking KLR hating troll?

1st post in this thread:

Stephen King could foreshadow this twisted tale any better...

2nd post:

How many RFS engines have gone even 30k miles without replacing a single thing in the motor (or as KTM owners love to call it, "preventative maintenance" )? The "KLR miles check-in" thread and the disproportionate number of KTM horror stories to number of KTMs out there makes this troll's beliefs obvious for what they are, complete BS Obviously if you want an orange single with long-term maintenance even remotely comparable to a KLR, you're going to have to look for a LC4 and even owners of those bikes seem to do a lot of "preventative maintenance". But we all know the Euro bikes are dominating the dual sport market with their extremely high sales numbers somehow compared to the well established and going-nowhere Jap dual sport offerings, right!? What a joke. What he's trying to say here is "I'm an orange troll and my obsessions project outward and alter my perceptions of the market place such that they don't reflect reality at all".

His third post in this thread fell into rank like clockwork orange (pun intended):

His fourth post was another solid contribution to KTM egomania:

To think, all those satisfied big bore Stage II KLR owners are actually insane!?

Then he finally came all the way out from under the bridge with his 5th post:

6th post:

I wonder how many other KTM owners would dare describe their bikes as "tractor-like" if not simply for the fact that they wouldn't risk tainting their egos with any phrase that is so plainly associated with the KLR more so than any other bike out there. Such warped perception can only be explained by the presumption that Off the grid must live under a bridge in another universe. Every KTM owner that reads his "tractor-like" KTM description is distancing themselves from this troll.

Sorry for the long post. It's practically takes a good trolling to respond to a good trolling.
I know 2 Class A riders that I used to ride with in the NorthEast with 20k and 30k on their 02 520s that they purchased new in 02. Both are still on their original top ends. The 30k bike needed new intake valves. These are not slow riders like me, mind you, these guys flog their bikes mercilessly.

The bottom line is that almost everyone starts out in the dirt on a Japanese bike because that's what we grew up on, what we knew.

The game has changed. Euro bikes, and more specifically KTM, absolutely dominates the dual sport/enduro market.

Myself and 90% of the people I ride with started out the same....on XRRs, DRZs, etc and moved to KTM RFS bikes, Huskys, etc.

That's the evolution of the sport. Of the equipment. It's not debatable or open to my personal interpretation. It's fact. The Euros are currently producing much better bikes, and have been for over a decade now.

If you think otherwise, you are a Unabomber-esque recluse that rides an XR400 alone through fire roads. Because anyone that attends an organized ride, event, or ADV meet will see this.

Mind you, I have absolutely no issue with those that want to cling so desperately to the "old way" of heavy, antiquated Japanese bikes with teeth-rattling suspension and dangerous brakes.

Hell, I have zero brand loyalty. If the big 4 out East would put out something comparable, I would consider it, but they haven't. And won't. It's not in their corporate plan, and never was.

Lastly, understand that to me, it's just a hunk of fucking metal. Metal, rubber, plastic and fluids. It's not an image, or part of who I am. I want the best tool for the job, like many other people.

Why do I go out of my way to educate people? Because people DO buy KLRs and think they are going to ride cross-country and climb 20 degree hills without limitations. People tend to promote their brand like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wouldn't recommend a Euro bike to a dirt n00b, and never have. But I certainly would not push a 360lb XR650L for someone who has dirt experience and is looking for a bike to do "20% road/80% dirt".

That happens here. More than you know.

Thus, education.

PS: If you are trying to get a rise out of me, you are going to have a do a shitload better than that, Scooter. I'm not new to ADV, and I'm certainly not new to the internet. Don't waste your time.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!