View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #4273
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,050
As we all need just a bit more gas on our G650X bikes, I had been using the 1.3 gallon Acerbis fuel cell. It worked great and gave me a 200 mile range. But, it did make mounting my Wolfman bags goofy, so I need another solution.

So I saw that Butters hooked up the 1.1 gallon KTM side panel tank on his XCountry, so I decided to try it as well.

Here's the set up to heat and expand the tank with boiling water.

Here it is in action:

During the expansion, I kept mine hooked up to the air compressor and had the output pressure set at 25psi. The extra Acerbis gas cap I had laying around didn't quite seal, but this actually helped, as I could keep the air flowing into the tank and keep it at the size I wanted. I also applied some heat with a heat gun to the lower right hand portion of the tank so that it would bulge out further and remove the relief that is molded into the tank for the KTM sprocket.

After the heating and expansion was done:

The mounting using the stainless loops from McMaster-Carr was a bit flimsy, so I added a .25" thick aluminum plate and a few more stainless loops.

All done and ready for Baja in less than 2 weeks!

UPDATED 12/11/12: The first fill at the gas station was 1.3 gallons, the same as when I had the 1.3 gallon Acerbis fuel cell mounted on the side. At this point you're looking at the better part of a 180 mile range.

tbarstow screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 07:19 AM Reason: Updated tank volume.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote