View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #23
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I guess im surprised that with a RTW thread everyone is suggesting the WR without at least considering that its supposed to have premium fuel.

Some of the fuel you get in foreign countries is super low quality (low RON or octane) and since the WR doesnt have a knock sensor, I would imagination pre-detonation is inevitable. There is a guy on the WR forums who shared a trip he took from the US all through south america- he made it back to either central america or mexico (cant remember) before the bike stopped working- needed rings and a piston. Of course, this could have been due to his air filter maintenance, or who knows- but about 30k and that engine needed rings and a piston. If you go this route, you might want to have a piston and rings ready to ship? Its amazing to me it made it 30k in those conditions and using the fuel he must have used- considering its compression ratio, that distance traveled is pretty incredible.

The WR is definitely a reliable bike, and dont misinterpret me- if you read some of my posts around here youll see i REALLY REALLY want a WR250R but cant afford new and no used units exist in my area. The 990 seems too big to me, especially if you want to take two-track or even single track to get somewhere unique.

I would suggest a DR650 which I think has the capacity to be perfect, but honestly the third gear blowups scare me- I should know as I own one.

GSF1200S screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 12:27 AM
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote