Thread: New guy here!!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
turbojet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
My Tale

Started out on a 1100 GS in 1999 and rode that across Idaho on jeep trails. Loved that bike for on road long distance touring. I realized I needed something that was more off road oriented and picked up a 2004 KLR 650. Really fun bike, good off road on single track stuff, but not so great for eating up highway miles. Next bike was a Suzuki 650 Vstrom, better on road as a commuter. Then without needing to I picked up a used 800 GS. I had originally done a test ride on this bike when it first came out and didn't like it at all. I've had the 800 GS for two years now and my impression is fair on the road, fair off the road. On the road I missed the power of my 1100 GS. Off road shocks are weak. Overall I think it is a great design (fuel tank location, mileage, maintenance, etc) but it doesn't quite do it for me. I've lusted after the KTM 990 for 3-4 years but being a hard core BMW guy have held back. Finally did a road test and now have 2012 990 in my garage. BMW is for sale. We'll see how this relationship works out.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote