View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #115
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Got off a rig in OK with time to kill, so I decided to go to Colorado and put my utility shell camper thru it's paces. Long story short, I spotted the truck I was going to buy next year anyway at a dealer in Boulder. It's a 2008 Tacoma Access cab with the 4.0l V6, 5spd auto, 4x4, non-TRD. I made a deal on the spot and just got my camper moved over to it.
The good:
Cab is much roomier and nicer than my 2004, the suicide doors are awesome for not having to crawl over folded seats.
Power is very good at 236 hp vs the 142 my 2.4l I4 produces. I took the truck to Boulder last weekend sans the camper and it was great for power and handling. This truck perfectly suits my nomadic lifestyle and being used, the payment is very affordable and well below my truck allowance.
The bad:
From least annoying to most:
+None of the power outlets stay on with the key turned off and the procedure for correcting that was much more involved than when I did it to my 2004. I ran a 12V ext cord off the battery into the glovebox, so my rat nest of chargers are hidden, very tidy, inexpensive and easy. No drilling done at all.
+No aux input on the head unit on a 2008?? C'mon Toyota, what is your deal? I'll have to install an adapter to bring out a 3.5mm jack. Per the youtube vide, pulling the radio is pretty easy, but still annoying to have to do it at all.
+The worst and inexcusable problem is the WEAK REAR SPRINGS! I put my 300lb shell in and contents, maybe 600lbs total and this truck is sitting on the bumpstops! My previous '04 had an add a leaf and it was a little low but very driveable. I put in a SuperSpring and got all of the clearance back. I called Toyota and they won't help me because it's out of warranty at almost 60k miles. They want $1800 for new rear springs and shocks. Getting new SuperSprings on next Friday for $500 installed (current ones don't work) to get a truck that can actually be used like a truck.
Other than that, I love the truck. I'm keep the paid-off '04 as a back up and I'm actually rebuilding my credit after it tanked from my divorce 4 years ago.

2004 with the Durashell camper.

2008 with the Durashell.

Getting these black Mickey Thompson rims installed at the same time as the springs:

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 10:36 AM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote