View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #3908
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Two more cents...

As a knifemaker who has used steel from several different suppliers, not all steels are created equal. You can get the same grade steel from two different sources, and there can be significant differences in the chemistry and initial internal structure of the material. In a backyard shop, even though I feel comfortable heat treating 1095, 1095 from one place needs to be handled differently than 1095 from another supplier. In my experience, all steels suffer this inconsistency, even though they have the same grade label.

To think that all 440C is exactly the same, all over the world, is foolish - and why I suggest that it's not an ideal material for knives. But people like shiny and no rust, so that's what they get, and if the shop producing blades isn't paying very close attention to what they're doing, they can mess it up with no visual signal that they have.
If you are calling me a fool, you missed the part I wrote " This temperature is dependent upon the actual chemistry of the material. "

Why don't you use tool steel flats? The quality is very good and chemistry is consistant. For what a custom knife maker charges for a knife the additional cost of tool steel would not be noticed. O-1 or O-2?

On thing to know about the variability in the chemistry of steel is a steel manfacturing difficulity know as segragation. As the cast ingot cools the alloy elements group together in different parts of the ingot. When the ingort is rolled into , flats for example and in knife sizes there will be alot of feet of flat, there will be considerable varance in chemistry from the flats at the begianing of the rolling to the middle and at the end of the rolling.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote