View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #154
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
Most owners of Japanese bikes get their fair share of wrenching in like anyone else. You managed to completely miss the point I was making...what a surprise. As bomber said before this post, your cloud of smug proceeds you.

You said Kawasaki's (and thereby Japanese) bikes are the least user-friendly bikes to work on and have implied that Euro bikes are easy to work on in comparison. But now by saying "not my fault those guys can't effeciently spin a wrench" you're implicitly admitting that Euro bikes are generally more complicated to work on which just also so happens to be the usual definition of not user friendly.

Dont put words in my mouth. When I say Kawasaki, i mean Kawasaki. Suzuki (as previously stated) is right in there. I have been elbows deep in many Japanese products, they are typically complex and require the removal of assemblies to access specific components. Once one understands this and applies it, the process of r&r becomes far less frustrating.
Kawasaki tends to take this a step further. For instance: accessing the carburetor on the KLX 450 requires removal of the rear subframe for jetting changes, and removal of the rear shock to fully service the carb. They also enjoy changing spec on wear items like wheel bearings, spokes, brake pads, and fork seals every 2-3years. Making parts procurement a PITA at times.

Team Orange however has only 3 pn# for rear wheel bearings for 1992-2013 85cc-950cc. Three Fork seals for 125-950. 2 different calipers for dirt/enduro/ds bikes since 1993. All bolts are sized 6-8-10-13-17, and the 08+ have torx and hex on ALL bolted hardware. Plus, even on an RFS or LC4 motor, jetting can be performed by rotating the carb.

Ive owned (and raced) about 6 Japanese dirt/ds bikes, and owned (and raced) 200-250-250f-300-300-360-400-525-640adv-950adv KTMs. I can honestly say that they are the most modular, least failure prone, and easiest access motorcycles ive ever worked on. And with certianty I will never go back to Japanese offroad bikes.

Ymmv, imho, gfys, fyyff, etc.

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message

CodyY screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 03:05 PM