View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #4280
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,478
The KTM tank, version2. My initial attempt had the tank hitting the chainguard at full compression. Unlike TBarstow's, mine is still in line with the chain since I can't mount the tank canted outward due to the tight fit of the rack. (Edit: no clearance issues with the chainguard).

Here's how I mounted the KTM tank behind my Hepco Becker racks:

The top bracket is a flat piece of stock and a 1" spacer. It bolts to the bracket that came with the KTM tank and uses the bolts (longer) that hold the side racks to the tailrack:

The bottom bracket uses the two bolts that previously held the canister to the subframe. It bolts directly to the bracket that comes with the KTM tank:

Here's is the additional material on the HB racks that prevents the bottom of the tank to be moved outward. There is plenty of material that could be removed, but I am trying to avoid that. Also, it may not be clear from the pics, but that thing is wedged in very tight between the rack and the rear fender.

Here is a pic from the rear showing the alignment of the tank and the chainguard:

I will edit this post once I verify the tank won't contact the chainguard and can post the total range I got from it.

Edit #1: No issues with the chainguard. In fact, it doesn't even contact it. Now to figure out the range . . .

Edit #2: The low fuel light came on at 167 miles, but I only averaged 52mpg for that tankful. So I'm thinking 175 to reserve will be pretty typical. It also looks like my odometer is only off 3-4% (whereas the speedo is off about 8%). I think an actual 200 miles is possible as is. In fact, I think it is likely, but those last 5 or 10 miles would have me a little nervous.

Butters screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 12:25 PM
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote