View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #3911
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
If you are calling me a fool, you missed the part I wrote " This temperature is dependent upon the actual chemistry of the material. "

Why don't you use tool steel flats? The quality is very good and chemistry is consistant. For what a custom knife maker charges for a knife the additional cost of tool steel would not be noticed. O-1 or O-2?

On thing to know about the variability in the chemistry of steel is a steel manfacturing difficulity know as segragation. As the cast ingot cools the alloy elements group together in different parts of the ingot. When the ingort is rolled into , flats for example and in knife sizes there will be alot of feet of flat, there will be considerable varance in chemistry from the flats at the begianing of the rolling to the middle and at the end of the rolling.
Now you're putting words in my mouth. I wasn't calling anyone out in particular, so please don't take offense where none was intended.

My knife steels of choice are primarily 1095, 1084, W1 and W2, occasionally O1, and sometimes some 15n20. I have also used 52100, 5160, I have a hunk of O6 for tool making, and some A2 I have yet to decide what to do with. for my historical work I end up making my own steels, either from carburized wrought iron, or smelted material direct from ore in most cases. I'm experimenting with recycling material into an orishigane-type product using an Aristotle furnace, and also have played around with high-nickel iron meteorite (campo).

My personal experience with variable product under a single spec is 1095. The stuff I get from Admiral steel is not annealed, and has massive alloy banding present in almost every purchase. I have changed suppliers to Aldo Bruno (the New Jersey Steel Baron) and his material is clean, well-annealed, and is ready to work, with no additional thermal cycling needed before it's "ready" for knife making. Even then, I know people who got a batch from him, and found inclusions, banding, or other flaws, and the product was replaced immediately - so his customer service carries some weight, but my main decision to use him comes from the nature of the steel as delivered, which is excellent for my purposes and techniques. I don't pretend to know about everything that goes on in a steel mill, but I know the end product can be rather varied depending on the quality controls in place, and the method by which the final bars are made.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote