View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #62
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Oddometer: 757
Day 6: Saturday, Sept 15th 2012

Pocatello ID to Rogerson ID 215 miles

After the drama from the previous evening and morning medical logistics on pill hill, Tom and I couldn't wait to get back on the bikes and get out of town. I was feeling normal again. We configured our GPS over to Martin's T2 track. The track took us south on 2nd Ave then onto Mink Creek Rd. We passed the zoo and the Portneuf river as we exited Pocatello for the last time.

In our brief time spent in Pocatello, I was impressed with this town. In addition to a great location for riding as Byways mentioned, it was obvious that folks living here really care about their community, homes, schools, parks, zoo, etc. The city has the idyllic friendly feel of a small town, but also all the major conveniences of a medium sized town. Idaho State is also located here, so good mix of youthful energy. Hopefully one of our future routes will intersect this city again.

Not too far out of town, stopped on Mink Creek Rd to pay homage to Martin where his T1 route intersects the T2

heading west now towards Oregon on Knox Canyon rd, super nice fast graded gravel

not too far past this point on flint canyon rd, entered an area that had a recent grassland wildfire that wiped everything out for miles. With all the fire truck traffic, road is now extreme deep +1ft poof dust, no pics as we were both in survival mode. Take note of waypoint "Deep Silt Flint Canyon" in the gpx file. Road improved to unimproved dirt after 4 or 5 miles. Dust in every orifice on bike and body

Flint Canyon steadily ascends into the Sawtooth NF, where trees and lush green bunch grasses finally return

road turns into Hartley Canyon, unimproved packed dirt, just the way we like it

stopped for a quick break and listen to swarm of buzzing flies at the sublett guard station

continuing west, used this culvert to pass under I-84 and temporarily escape the relentless sun. Only about 20 miles north of Utah border

these antelope didn't bolt but kept a weary eye as we passed

grabbed some gas and food in Almo at the well restored Tracy store. You can tell this 1894 store is a labor of love for the shop keeper. I had an apple and ice cold slushy, Tom ordered a loaded deli sandwich. We sat outside on the patio and chatted with a nice family taking a car break.

quickly passed thru the city of rocks, bad timing as this was a Saturday and the place was crawling with Subaru's and rock climbers

not too many pics the rest of the day, we just had a blast riding. Road thru the small town of Oakley and passed Goose Creek Reservoir. Ascended back into the Sawtooth NF. Our plan was to find a nice quiet place to camp.

Then around the next turn, stopped and talked to our first advrider of the trip near Badger mountain. Dang forget his name, but he was riding a ktm and in week 3 or 4 of a long trip after already completing sections of the TAT, T1, WABDR, OBDR and now the T2. He told us to get ready for an upcoming treeless 300 mile of rocks. He said it was the worst section of his entire trip. Didn't sound like he liked the open desert sections. In any case, we were the first advriders he had encountered on his trip and extremely happy to stop and talk.

After departing ways, we looked for a place to camp but the area was absolutely crawling with hunters riding side by sides, quads and big dodge 3/4 ton PUs. The service road was a solid cloud of dust. Biggest concentration of people we've seen of our entire trip. Tom and I decided to descend from the mountains and into Rogerson to get away from all the people. We setup camp in the RV park

This is where we met Helen who owns and runs Rogerson gas/store/RV park. Helen is a 87 year young salt of the earth gal who built Rogerson back in 1987. Her daughter and son help out, but Helen wears the pants in this business. Neat old gal. She charged $10 for the tent space and access to shower and crapper. Spent the evening in the bar chatting with Helen's son and closed the place down.

Day 6 conclusion 215 miles, 1195 total

Next up Bruneau Canyon, South Fork of Owyee, and McDermitt NV

'14 KTM 1190 Adv, '12 KTM 350EXC, '09 Yamaha WR250R
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote