View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #19
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Question Tony,
In WY before/after South Pass City are you routing people to Farson for gas? I show Boulder (& of course Pinedale) has fuel too.
I'm wondering what that out and back is before heading north to Pinedale.

Just so everyone know Great Divide Basin (desert) is an amzing wide open area but you must be dead on your toes with fuel as there is nothing out there (see Docking Pilot's picture just above to get the idea & note his 2 fuel containers - http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...th-spout-Black ). This could be one of the longest stretches of fuel for his whole ride.

Tony do you have a need minimum fuel range people need w/ their bikes so everyone knows this? This is a key piece of info.
Thanks for the questions and comments, Bill. Butler Maps would know to ask!

There should be no fuel issue in Wyoming. There definitely can be, however, farther west in the Great Basin of western Utah and eastern Nevada.

There are two segments that exceed 230 miles; an optional segment would add another 100 miles to one of them.. Both are in the Great Basin of western Utah and eastern Nevada. Both well exceed any of the distances in Wyoming, including the "Big Empty" crossing between Atlantic City and Rawlins.

In Wyoming, greater South Pass area, I provide three options to get from fuel at Boulder (south of Pinedale) to fuel again (usually) at Wild Bill's Gun Shop in Atlantic City -- not a gas station, just a guy who sticks to the basics: guns 'n gas. Depends more on what sort of experience and landscapes one prefers ... and it's a tough choice, I'll tellya.

One way I route that focuses on important Oregon Trail tracks and sites runs for about 80 miles from gas at Boulder to gas at Farson.

From fuel at Farson to fuel @ Rawlins is about 185 miles on this route, via Atlantic City. But from gas at Farson to gas at Atlantic City, on South Pass, is only approx. 50 miles or so via highway, and it's always advisable to buy gas every chance you get. Then A.C. to Rawlins ... 130-135 miles roughly ... no prob.

There's no gas at South Pass City, which is just a state historical park.

byways screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 09:59 PM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote