View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #56
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
I don't see this as a bad thing. I have their gear and visited their facilities a couple years ago. A total 'family' experience, with everyone working together for a very common goal. They all seemed perfectionists striving for more, and I don't see that changing as it is a corporate culture.
I see them becoming a separate organization within a larger structure. This works far better than you would realize. It offers expanding opportunities for growth of the business and strength for R & D.
I think Polaris needed Klim and Klim will reap the rewards. When you have a great product, you don't buy it to destroy it, you build on it. Think globally and think positive.
Allen
It only works well if Polaris remembers why they bought Klim in the first place, allows Klim to remain relatively autonomous, allows Klim to continue doing what they do best, and doesn't decide that they know more about Klim's business than Klim does.

In all my years in the corporate world, I've only seen this happen *once* and then a change in management in the parent company even wrecked that after about 5 years.

*Every* other time, the execs at the parent company assume that because they're a larger company, they know more about why the new unit (in this case, Klim) became successful in the first place and begin to make decisions about where that unit should be going in spite of protests by, well, everyone else.

My guess is Klim will start out making the same stuff and it'll seem like nothing's changed, then they'll announce a lower pricepoint line of gear due in 2014, we'll stop seeing truly innovative stuff coming out of them shortly after that (I'm sure there are a *couple* of things currently in the R&D pipeline that Polaris will allow to make it to the market), and then their line will resemble and join an already *saturated* marketplace with the likes of FirstGear, Fieldsheer, Olympia, Tour Master, Rev'it, etc. and pretty much fade into the crowd. Then when sales stagnate in the adventure touring line of gear, they'll announce that they're going to "focus" on "what made them great in the first place" and drop the adventure touring line to focus on snowmobiling gear.

Don't get me wrong, I've been Klim's biggest fanboi for years, now. I'm just not optimistic about this "partnership".

Three brands that, in my mind, haven't benefited from a move like this, The North Face, Mountain Hardware, and Columbia. (Yes, I know Columbia *is* the parent company, but their stuff followed the same product arc.)

Just for clarification, I really hope I'm wrong about this.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 01:52 PM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote