View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #60
gringostd OP
Rubber side up

Oddometer: 313
Day 22 - Haines Junction to Whitehorse

Day 22 - Haines Junction to Whitehorse [97 miles total]

It's 7/17/12 - I wake up to another rainy day, hopeful that it doesn't persist. We could be in for a miserable stretch of two-up riding, if it does. I blast into Whitehorse and check into the Mountain Ridge Motel again - same room CJ and I had last week. I reserved it before I left last time - given the craziness in town with the softball tournament. I took the first shower in four days - luxury! Then, I took the rest of the day handling stuff like laundry - and drying out all of my soaking wet gear.

I had a few little bike issues to deal with - chain tension & lube, suspension linkage clean & lube, check fluids, etc.. I had also lost one of the rubber bumpers under my seat at some point. These keep the load of the saddle distributed nicely to the frame as opposed to [as in my case] grinding away at the top of the battery. That'd surely lead to trouble, by the time I made it back to California. The guys at the Suzuki dealership didn't have the exact part, but they had some other bumpers that they made work. Thanks guys!

Kate's original flight out of SF was delayed, and she missed her original connection to Whitehorse. The airline was originally saying that she'd have to wait until the next day, but we were on a tight schedule to catch the ferry South. The boat we needed to be on only left Haines / Skagway once a week - and we had already bought tickets. She made a fuss, and they got her on another flight, on another airline, arriving into Whitehorse at 11:30pm that night. So... I had some more time to kill.

The nice folks I met at Tombstone recommended a restaurant in town called Klondike Ribs & Salmon - so I went there for fish and chips. Delicious - and fun place! I even caught a movie [Ted] at the local two-plex. It was cheap night, which meant lots of teenie-boppers. Funny cultural experience.

I picked Kate up at the airport on the bike, in the rain , in the 'dark' - what an arrival.

Arctic Relay 2012 - aka "Pass the Gringo"

gringostd screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 12:06 AM
gringostd is offline   Reply With Quote