View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Issues/Questions I'd like to address on our Oset are:
  • Variable chain tension - Oset says to adjust them "taut". Unfortunately ours is both *TIGHT* and *LOOSE*. This would seem to indicate that the rear sprocket is possibly not concentric with the hub. Any ideas?
  • I think you are on the right track, because the relationship between the driving sprocket and driven sprocket doesn't change like on a conventional motorcycle. But the quality of manufacture is a little inconsistent, so it wouldn't surprise me to find your suspicion is correct.

Quote:
  • The Dreaded Dead Zone - As Oset will tell you, when the speed is turned down on the 36V bike there's quite a dead zone in the throttle that makes starts and slow speed a bit tricky, especially for kids. I've seen mention of aftermarket motor controllers and DIY throttle stops. The bike can be a handful for my little guy. Any new info here is appreciated.
  • Afraid I can't help you here -- my experience has been with the 24V bikes.

Quote:
  • SLA Battery Charging - These three initial (and every 10 charges thereafter) 12 hour charges have me curious. The 36V bike appears to have (3x) 12V/10 AHr batts in series and a 1.8 A charger. 12 hours seems like a punishingly long charge. Is it really necessary to equalize the crap out of these things three times right out of the box?
  • Big drawback with the lead/acid batteries. Several of our dads swapped batteries for newer tech. I expect at least one of them will be around soon, and has already posted at Trials Central.

Quote:
  • Suspension - Eventually I'll probably try to address suspension. The bike seems pretty unbalanced out of the box, with a very soft front fork and a very stiff (at least to a 5 year old) rear end. What kind of sag are you guys seeing with the typical little 5 - 6 year old kid?
  • There are (or were) accessory rear shocks and springs available from OSET and in the mountain bike markets. No quick fix for the forks, though. For our bikes I never found a soft enough setting for good compliance, and the lack of front adjustability made it a moot point anyway. No balanced settings to be had. The TC community may well have hit upon some solutions.

Quote:
  • Tire Pressure - What are you guys running? The 30 - 40 PSI Oset recommends seems high?
  • I ran 15-18 psi with constant vigilance for the tire slipping on the rim and ripping the valve stem out. I also took to running the heaviest thorn-proof tubes with slime. One running gear swap I saw incorporated a rimlock on the rear, which allowed lower tire pressure.

Quote:
My ultimate goal (still haven't gotten the wife on board) would be to become an Oset dealer here in Bend and try to get some activities going for the little guys and girls. I know this is an uphill battle in the states, but our sport will eventually die or be legislated away (and then die) if we don't get the little ones involved.
Lewisport has handled OSETs in the past. Don't know their current status.