View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #1409
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Yeah, I think a high-quality 1/4" extension would be fine for 7/8/10/12/13/14mm bolts, but the only thing I'd want to use a 17mm on would be something like a float bowl. Will have to run these things through FEA to confirm, but think they'll be plenty strong enough for smaller hardware and will save a bit of space without have any real downsides that are typically associated with multi-tools.

Thanks for the answer. Hope the tests prove out for you.

I'm a huge proponent for minimizing the load and anything that saves weight and space I'm a supporter. I've transitioned from a 1/4" T handle driver and socket bits to the Motion Pro (but weld the damn piece like I posted about earlier in the thread) to save some weight/space. In addition to the sockets it has replaced my screwdriver which is nice. The hex bits I prefer L shapped hexes for my carb work.

Two concerns I have with something like this idea Jesusgatos:

A place where these may not be able to replace your wrench set is when you need two wrenches at once ie adjusting a chain.

Second is I would be giving up the box end part of the wrench which is the portion of the wrench used to break loose or torque down bolts. I would be nervous only having the open end of the wrench and nothing else. Any thoughts on this?

Currently utulizing stubby wrenches to save a bit if weight/space but not enough time on them to pass judgement.
All the best
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote